Category Archives: Territory

  • Office Information Point

    Posted on febbraio 5, 2015 by in Information Office, Territory

    in maintenance

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • San Gemignano di Controne

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    San Gemignano di Controne is 532meters above sea level and 7.5kilometers from Bagni di Lucca. La Controneria is the largest and most populated area of Bagni di Lucca, the most important villages in this area are Pieve di Controne, San Gemignano and San Cassiano.There are also Guzzano,Gobereto,Mobbiano,Longoio and Vetteglia.San Cassiano is made up of different little groups of houses named Campiglia,Cappella,Vizzata,Cembroni,Cocolaio,Livizzano,Chiesa and Piazza. At the ‘Refubbri’ a place on the road to Bagni di Lucca,theres an ortary dedicated to the Visitation of Mary, her gaze wanders towards Pratofiorito and its nearby mountains.This was one of the favourite walks of Elizabeth and Robert Browning english poets of the 19thcentury,when they stayed in Bagni di Lucca.Robert Browning in the peom “By the Fire-side” describes this walk.The origin of the name Controne is unknown.It’s antique name was Paetano or Paetiana(da pagus)

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • Montefegatesi

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    Montefegatesi is situated 842meters above sea level,its the highest village of Bagni di Lucca and is 15 kilometers from the town.There are two roads to the village,the first along the road of La Controneria and to the right at the ruins of the oratory of San Rocco, the second is from Ponte a Serraglio, passing through Granaiola,Pieve di Monte di Villa, Monte di Villa and going towards the church of Sant’Anna.Looking at Montefegatesi it seems to be attached to a rock.It’s name comes from the colour of the clay present in most of the territory(liver-fegato),and mountain(monte) that rises from the stream Fegana,making the name place Montefegatesi.

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • Isola

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    A group of houses built along the SS12 Brennero.There also stands the Oratory dedicated to the Virgin Mary.

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • Vico Pancellorum

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    Vico Pancellorum is situated 555 meters above sea level and is 15.5 kilometers from Bagni di Lucca,it’s the last village of the right side of the River Lima.At beginning of the village there is a square Pieve San Paolo, beautifully made with a fantastic view of the surroundings. In the high point of the village theres a aold house of the vicarage of the Val di Lima and inside there are also prisons, on the door there’s a head sculptured surrounded with laurel its said to represent Castruccio Castracani degli Antelminelli.The “Balzo Nero” dominates the village,on the summit of the mountain there was an antique fortress and the church of San Marco, but today there remains nothing of this.A popular legend say’s that the name comes from panis celorum,(pane dei cieli – bread from the heaven) with reference to the eucharist.But probably it comes from panicellum,(panicum)or panic, a type of fodder.But in some documents Vicus Pannucculorum and Vicus Panitiolorun can be found, another legendsays that the village was founded by two brother Pancelli, exiled from Rome.The population of Vico in the 15th/16th centuries made commerical exchanges and frequented Rome for work.This also changed there way of life and there accent.The dialect that was used by travelling street vendors can be heard today used by some of the elderly popoulation.

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • San Cassiano di Controni

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    San Cassiano di Controni is 490 meters above sea level, 10 kilometers from Bagni di Lucca, there are two roads to reach it,the first is from Corsena passing Refubbri,Guzzano,Gombereto,Longoio,San Gemignano,the second is along the Brennero SS.12 until the junction that takes to Palleggio,continuing on the road. La Controneria is the largest and most populated area of Bagni di Lucca, the most important villages in this area are Pieve di Controne, San Gemignano and San Cassiano.There are also Guzzano,Gobereto,Mobbiano,Longoio and Vetteglia.San Cassiano is made up of different little groups of houses named Campiglia,Cappella,Vizzata,Cembroni,Cocolaio,Livizzano,Chiesa and Piazza. At the ‘Refubbri’ a place on the road to Bagni di Lucca,theres an ortary dedicated to the Visitation of Mary, her gaze wanders towards Pratofiorito and its nearby mountains.This was one of the favourite walks of Elizabeth and Robert Browning english poets of the 19thcentury,when they stayed in Bagni di Lucca.Robert Browning in the peom “By the Fire-side” describes this walk.The origin of the name Controne is unknown.

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • Ponte a Serraglio

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    Ponte a Serraglio is situated 130 meters above sea level and is 300 meters from Bagni di Lucca. It strikes you for it’s beautiful and noble villas, like Villa Fiori built in the 19th century belonging to the baron Fiori, after extended and a small tower was added. The stream Camaione meets the River Lima here anmd here we find the hospital and chapel Demidoff. The hospital was built in 1826 by the russian Prince Nicolaj Demidoff(1773-1828) and was designed by the engineer Pietro Ruelle. Nicolaj Demidoff arrived at Bagni di Lucca to cure his gout, and realised that the poor people needed a hospital so he financed it. He also built in 1831 a noe-classic style temple with a round roof on four pillars designed by the architect Giacomo Marracci. The hospital and temple where united by a wooden bridge(distroyed in 1836),then built in stone.This was designed by the architect Guiseppe Pardini in 1837 for the son of the prince Anatolj, fond of Bagni di Lucca like his father.

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • Pieve di Monti di Villa

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    Pieve di Monte di Villa is situated 476 meters above sea level and is 9 kilometers from Bagni di Lucca, passing through Ponte a Serraglio, taking the junction at “La Cova” and then passing Granaiola.Before the village rthere is a place called Castello were Villa Terenzana once stood, there are also visable some ruins.Via Fillungo cuts in two the village on this road there are antique buildings. At the beginning of the village the most important building is “Casa Gabrielli” of the 16th century.At the Pieve there is the birthplace of Adamo Lucchesi.The view of the Camaione valley is beautiful. In a few parchments of the 11th century we find the name Villa and in a document of 1047 Villa becomes united with Terenzana, from Terentius the owner of the land. The Pieve di Villa Terenzana had six churches under it: Bugnano, Lugnano, Granaiola, Montefegatesi, Tereglio, Messano(place not known) and the hospital of Cabbi.The Division of Paleopathology of the University of Pisa in 2002 until 2006 made a few excavations to study in depth the archaeology.If one wants to know the results go (…)

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • Pieve di Controne

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    Pieve di Controne is 565 meters above sea level, 8 kilometers from Bagni di Lucca.La Controneria is the largest and most populated area of Bagni di Lucca, the most important villages in this area are Pieve di Controne, San Gemignano and San Cassiano.There are also Guzzano,Gombereto,Mobbiano,Longoio and Vetteglia.San Cassiano is made up of different little groups of houses named Campiglia,Cappella,Vizzata,Cembroni,Cocolaio,Livizzano,Chiesa and Piazza. At the ‘Refubbri’ a place on the road to Bagni di Lucca,theres an ortary dedicated to the Visitation of Mary, her gaze wanders towards Pratofiorito and its nearby mountains.This was one of the favourite walks of Elizabeth and Robert Browning english poets of the 19thcentury,when they stayed in Bagni di Lucca.Robert Browning in the peom “By the Fire-side” describes this walk.The origin of the name Controne is unknown. The antique of the Pieve was Bargi.

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • Palleggio

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    Palleggio is 310 meters above sea level and 8 kilometers from Bagni di Lucca. On the state road Brennero SS12 turn left at the Astracaccio,or from San Cassiano di Controne going towards the Brennero SS12.This road links Palleggio with all the other villages of La Controneria. Panuleius was the first roman settler in this area.Mariano Giannini(1890-1972) in his book”Il Pratofiorito” describes Palleggio like this: This village dominates a 100 metres of road, with it’s tall,straight,grey houses,like a wall with windows on a hillside.

    The History
    Palleggio is remembered in two parchments in the files of the archiepiscopal of Lucca of 983 and 991, (remembered as Panulegio) and was one of the villas of the Pieve di Controne. The first time Palleggio was mentioned was in the years 1302 and 1303 in vatican records.The bell tower was probably an antique tower for the defence of the valley ,the parish church is dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta and was built in 1903. Inside theres a stone tabernacle made locally in 1533.

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • Monti di Villa

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    Monti di Villa is 597meters above sea level and 10kilometers from Bagni di Lucca, starting from Ponte di Serraglio taking the junction at ‘la Cova’ passing through Granaiola and Pieve di Monte di Villa.It’s divided in three populated areas: Lugnano the most highest overlooking the valley of Fegana and the valley of Camaione 700meters in altitude,Bugnano the lowest area today not populated and Riolo the nearest to the stream Camaione characterised by its small square and the church of San Nicola. Lugnano originates from the name Laurius,Bugnano from roman settlers Apuleius.

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • Lugliano

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    Is 401 meters above sea level and 5 kilometers from Bagni di Lucca,on the Brennero SS.12. just past the bridge and stream Buliesima. This antique stronghold belonged to the Suffredinghi family dominated the valley of the Lima and Ponte a Serraglio. The medieval structure of the village is today visable with a road along side the walls of the village,called “fil di cima,fil di mezzo,fil di fondo” by the locals . The oldest part of the village is the castle at the top. An old wifes tale tells that the first family of the village was born in the area occupied by the holy woods “Giano” (iucus Jani), others say it belonged to a roman settler Lollius,theres also a debate on the coat of arms which shows a two faced “Giano”.

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • Lucchio

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    Lucchio is situated 780 meters above sea level and 18 kilometers from Bagni di Lucca,its the most distant village from Bagni di Lucca.It’s on the border between the territory of Bagni di Lucca and Pistoia, take the SS12 Brennero and take the junction at Tana Termini towards Lucchio.The village cannot be seen from the the Val di Lima, its visable by going on the road towards Popiglio; only then one can see Lucchio attached to a rock with a sheer drop, above theres the remains of the antique fortress. From faraway the houses seem attached to one another,it was difficult to bring the road to Lucchio.Its name means place covered by woods “lucus”.

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • Limano

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    Limano is 538 meters above sea level,13 kilometers from Bagni di Lucca.The village is extended on a rocky surface which looks down on the Valle di Lima,the view from here is fantastic.This antique fortress was built to defend the valley from any attacks.

    The History
    The village is remembered in parchments of the years 893 and 943 like a village of the population of Vico Pancellorum.It was property of the Suffredinghi family and passed to the town of Lucca in 1209 when all the elderly of the village went to Lucca to swear loyalty in name of all the village.In the 14thcentury the fortress was armed so the republic could defent itself from attacks from the florentines. In 1428 the florentines took (…)

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • La Villa

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    Probably Villa or La Villa was appointed the suburban village as in those days Corsena was a village that depended on the Pieve di Controne with another 25 villages this is found in a parchment of the year 983.At the end of the 13thcentury the thermal waters at the Colle started to be used for teraphy and was named Balneus ad Villa (Bagno alla Villa),and the chief town was known a Villa.In the 800’s the populated areas of the Villa where Bagni alla Villa,Corsena, Piano di Corsena,but today the territory is extended to,Castiglioni,Solcini,Campiglia,Palmaia,Dominello,Terrarosa and Novale.It’s construction started in the first half of the 19thcentury with the Baciocchi and then the Borboni.The inhabitants of Bagno alla Villa were already known in the 16thcentury as Michel de Montaigne stayed there in 1581,to cure a liver problem.Bagno alla Villa was the most elegant village in the valley, remaining today as in the 15thcentury when built by Domenico Bertini with it’s palaces and villas belonging to the rich noble families of Lucca.These palaces and villas lodged (…)

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • Granaiola

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    Granaiola is 416 meters above sea level and 7.5 kilometers from Bagni di Lucca.From Ponte di Serraglio take the junction to the right at ‘La Cova’ just past the casino.It’s a beautiful village facing east, exposed to the sun and surrounded by fields and vines. The village is divided in two, castle above and castle below the road that cuts in two the village is called ‘Via Dorati’ and at the nubers 16 and 29 there are three stone heads embeded in the houses locally made from the 18thcentury.Granaiola was visited by Montaigne the 10th September 1581, it was found in his dairy. It’s name comes from grain ‘grano’ as there was antique grain stores.

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • Fornoli

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    Fornoli is situated 120meters above sea level,4 kilometers from Bagni di Lucca,near the meeting point of the River Lima with the River Serchio.The railway station of Bagni di Lucca is situated here (made in 1905,linked up the valley with Lucca) theres also bus (viabus) and taxi service.At Fornoli one can admire the ‘Chain Bridge’ (Ponte delle Catene) a work of intelligence and technique created by Lorenzo Nottolini (1787-1851) built in1840 wanted by Carlo Ludovico di Borbone,after the old bridge made by Castruccio Castracani in 1317 was washed away by the river in 1836. The works finished in 1860 and during the second world war the germans distroyed the road of the bridge which was rebuilt in 1950.Until 1899 Fornoli was part of Borgo a Mozzano.

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • Fabbriche di Casabasciana

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    Fabbriche di Casabasciana are 5.5 kilometers from Bagni di Lucca on the ss12 Brennero.It’s has a small church,the Oratory of the immacolata on the last sunday of May theres a procession for the feast day of the Madonna dell’immacolata.

    The History
    The first group of inhabitants was in a place called in court(in corte),this name was given because of a few factories that had been opened during the centuries.There was a papermill,an iron foundery and a spinningmill. Thanks to the ss12 lots of construction took place during the1850’s/60’s after the second world war new factories had been opened that produce plaster statues.

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • Cocciglia

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    Cocciglia is 353 meters above sea level,9 kilometers form Bagni di Lucca it found by travelling along the ss12 Brennero until one reaches the Scesta.Just before one arrives at the village theres an oratory dedicated to San Michele of the 13thcentury and its cemetry.At cocciglia one passes through a gate called Chiarello(a mediaeval hero),one enters a fortress,slots and small windows are still visable, now they have been closed to construct houses.On the state road theres a bridge called Ponte Nero and an oratory of San Rocco dated 1532. From the bridge there is a view of the Straits of Cocciglia(Strette di Cocciglia) stone that has been woren away by the Lima and has created this stricking canyon.

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • Crasciana

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    Crasciana is 799 meters above sea level and 12.5 kilometers from Bagni di Lucca. Leaving Bagni di Lucca on the state road Brennero take the junction at Fabbriche di Casabasciana and passing the villages of Sala,Casabasciana and the stream Granchia.It’s the last village on the mountain known as Crasciana pomposa(pompous Crasciana). At the top of Crasciana there’s a bell tower of the 17thcentury and a parish church.The view is fantastic and goes from mountain Battifolle to Brandeglio,Pratofiorito and the villages below known as ‘la Controneria’ and also the Apennine Mountains they just made the picture.The placename of Crasciana comes from the roman colonist Carsius.

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • Casoli

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    Casoli is 586 meters above sea level and 13 kilometers from the chief town.To reach this small village take the state road Brennero and at the junction of the bridge of Ponte Maggio cross the Lima.On the road to Casoli there is a beautiful view of the Balzo Nero and the nearby villages of Vico Pancellorum and Limano.Casoli is situated on a cliff with a vertical drop into the Lima. Mariano Giannini(1890-1972) in his book “il Pratofiorito” describes it like this:In front of but higher than Cocciglia, above ‘the straits’ on the right hand side of the Lima the cliff of Casoli, in darkness, seems dark green at the bottom with lots of scrubs, light blue at the top where the nude stone peak will be coloured a golden yellow by the sunset. On the cliff top theres a thin grey tower of Casoli Val di Lima, most of it is visible but from the side it seems to be situated on another hill.

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • Casabasciana

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    Casabasciana is situated 572 meters above sea level, and 9.5 kilometers from Bagni di Lucca. Take the brennero and the junction at Fabbriche di Casabasciana.Passing the locality Corona theres an antique church of San Michele in Mariceto of the13thcentury.Also Casabasciana had another church dedicated to San Lorenzo in Cerqueto e San Martino in Surignana.Under the village is visable a roman building from the 12thcentury.The square is dedicated to Father Giovanni Ricci born in Sorbano del Vescovo, he was the parish priest from 1952 to 1957, died young and buried here under his own will.A paved road is the main street and cuts in two the village with the houses of the rich families like the Finucci, Iacopucci (già Laurenzi) and Lignani, at the end of the street there’s an old stone wash-house, in a place called”Aia alla Porta” made in the mid 30’s of the 19th (…)

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • Brandeglio

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    Brandeglio is 640 meters above sea level to reach Brandeglio take the crossroad on the statale del brennero at Pian dell’ospedaletto 9 kilometers from Bagni di Lucca. One can see the beauty and feel the charm of Brandeglio only when one aarives.The view of Crasciana and Casabasciana are wonder ful.In the square there’s a chapel dedicated to the Madonna delle Grazie the fountain of the village has a inscription by F.Cianelli,the first world war monument.The bell tower gathers around it all the village.It’s name comes from the noble roman Blandius even thoughsomeone says it comes fron the Lombard Brand spade the spade is in the coat of arms of the village.

    The History
    Brandeglio is remembered in a few parchments from Lucca dated in the years 918,950 and 985 like the (…)

    No Comments. Continue Reading...
  • Benabbio

    Posted on agosto 21, 2012 by in Territory

    Benabbio is situated 479meters above sea level and its 5 kilometers from Bagni di Lucca.Bruno Cherubini in his book “I Bagni di Lucca” describes it ‘as a hidden town nearly jealous of itself ’ a well fitting description as it’s not on the hills but on the valleyfloor.The road that brings to Benabbio goes on to Collodi and the Valleriana.Thisroad was built at the end of the last century and connects Benabbio with Bagni di Lucca.At the beginning of the road to Benabbio theres a place called Dominillo and theres a beautiful view of the town and the surrounding mountains.Entering Benabbio there’s the square Santa Maria and the parish church Santa Maria Assunta.The church was built in 1338, theres an inscription on the side of the church that looks onto the square.It has three aisles with pillars and ornated capitals,the roof is made with wooden beams.In the apse a triptych of Baldassarre of the late Biagio of Florence commis sioned by the men of Benabbio in 1469,the(…)

    No Comments. Continue Reading...